Saturday, April 14, 2012

Soapbox: Bikini Bodies


A collective aversion of our bodies has swept the plant. Summer is coming. Shit- I have to get skinny.

My 16 year old cousin was lamenting to me tonight about how she ‘does not have a bikini body.’  That breaks my heart. She is such a cute little thing with an adorable figure that she should be proud of!  And we’ve heard it all before:

Be proud of your body!

Curves are beautiful!

Thin is not in!

Now I am in no way condemning thin girls or glorifying an unhealthy life style of under-eating or over-eating but COME ON! When did the rules change to only tight little fit bodies being the only thing acceptable in a bikini?  Why is it that the rest of humanity ensconces the proof that they had seconds at every holiday dinner- AND dessert, under a cloak? Don’t get me wrong- I’d love to be one of the tight little fit things but the body God gave me isn’t going to fit the exact measurements I had in mind for it.  I still have problems coming to terms with that. I suspect it’s a weakness we all have.  I might beat myself down from time to time but something I WON’T do is hide my body due to my fear of not equating to the beautiful figure of another! This summer I will work to appreciate my body. If not for me, then to set an example for those younger than me that might (if I’m lucky J ) look up to me.  I encourage you to do the same, whether you don a bikini, sexy one piece or that sporty tankini.

So here’s a flaunting of my imperfect (because let's face it, perfection is boring) bikini body along with a few more that I consider beautiful.


And one of my favorite ads: Dove Campaign For Real Beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment