Thursday, December 22, 2011

I need to get out of this cage...




The other day, Tim and I went to the zoo.  Now normally, I love going to the zoo. I adore seeing every animal that I would never have the opportunity to see had I not embarked on a journey to the ticket booth that is your $15 fare into anywhere from the Serengeti to the deep blue sea.

But this time, the zoo also evoked some feelings of sadness.

Aside from the fact that these animals are housed in far fetched ideations of their natural habitat, the zoo reminds me that I'm just looking at a life I long to live, a life of travel, in a cage. 

4 comments:

  1. Animal rights or money....? Mmmmm money! But we will call it educational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THE ZOO!! haven't been in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoos are tough for me to reconcile... After I went on a Safari in Kenya I became a total zoo hater, ranting about how awful it is that they're locked up and can't be real predators or prey. But recently I read "Life of Pi" by Yann Martell and in the first section of the book he gives a very convincing defense of zoos... it's worth checking out, not just for the zoo details!

    As far as looking at the life you long to live... I can totally relate to that! Let's hope the New Year takes us closer to the lives we want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lauren: I'll definitely have to check that book out! I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete